Sunday, March 9, 2014

Meat Puppets - Meat Puppets II (1984)


(originally posted on Facebook)


I have to wonder if the fact that Meat Puppets II is such a short album, featuring a bunch of short songs, means that it's over too quickly to offend me and that's why I like it. Or maybe it's that the lead singer is comically untalented. Meat Puppets II is a pleasing mix of country blues and punk, which I was never expecting to say in my life. The arrangements are simple and the sound between the songs is pretty consistent but unique enough to the album that I don't mind. Unlike most punk bands of the period the Meat Puppets seem to understand the value of toning it down a bit or indulging in a brief flourish of instrumentation. You know, I wasn't hopeful when I saw a band called "Meat Puppets" on this list but I am pleasantly surprised. Thank god for the Meat Puppets, I felt like I was in a death spiral for a while. 4 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment