Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Cowboy Junkies - The Trinity Session (1988)


The Trinity Session opens with a lovely rendition of the traditional folk tune "Mining For Gold" sung a capella by lead vocalist Margo Timmins. All I can ask for is more of the same. Ms. Timmins has a beautiful soft and full alto voice, perfect for a soothing lullaby, a powerful epic, or anything in between.

Obviously Cowboy Junkies is made up of more than just one person, which isn't a bad thing as long as they're good and willing to play interesting music. I was obviously concerned that a band with cowboy in their name would be a country band, which come the late-80s would definitely be bad for my ears. But Cowboy Junkies aren't all about being twangy and slide-guitary. They do more than sing about pickup trucks and nameless girls. Their dog might even still be alive. "Blue Moon Revisited (A Song For Elvis)" and "I Don't Get It" certainly have plenty of twang, but would also find a home in a smoky lounge in Cajun country.

It's probably Cowboy Junkies somewhat quiet and minimalist approach to the material that works the best. Margo Timmins' voice can carry the song without accompaniment, so the rest of the band doing very little is appreciated. I don't mind the drummer lightly riding the high hat endlessly. I don't mind the lack of rhythm guitar. I don't mind the bassist just laying it down. I don't mind the simple noodling of the lead guitarist. As long as those elements are kept to the background and aren't obtrusive The Trinity Session and I will get along fine.

There are a couple songs where the minimalism is interrupted by too many musicians, either by someone playing a really scratchy fiddle or a cheesy sad accordion. These songs also tend to feature way too much slide guitar. Important note to minimalists... when you add too many people playing instruments, it ruins the point of trying to play quiet.

I read on Wikipedia that this album was recorded in a church while the band stood around a single microphone, and the band claims it was not, "mixed, overdubbed, or edited in any way." If true, that's damn impressive, because the recording is beautiful. I did get a bit bored by the quiet, country-esque lounge music they insisted on playing, but if my only real problem with the album was it's a bit long then I have no serious complaints. Find a copy, have a listen before you die. 4 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment