Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Dwight Yoakam - Buenos Noches From A Lonely Room (1988)


Sigh... I don't have much much to say today and really I don't want to. It's country music. It's about what you'd expect. After a couple of years spent listening to way too much rap, hip-hop, big beat, Euro-trash techno (house music) and whatnot I can't really say I'm offended by country music as I used to be. It's just so derivative and boring. If you've listened to country music in the close to 30 years since this album has been released you know what this album sounds like. You could probably hum along to every song even if you've never heard it before.

One lyric of note... In "Streets of Bakersfield" Mr. Yoakam sings, "Spent one night there in the can..." which tickled my funny bone for a second thinking maybe he ate too much sushi or something. But "can" in the context of this song I guess means "jail" and not "toilet". Pfft.

"Send Me The Pillow" has a decent guitar solo. The song is a twee lullaby, so it's not exactly a fire-breathing shredfest, but it's more than I'd expect from a cheesy country song. Too bad the solo is only about 15 seconds long.

Country. Lame. Zzzzzzzzz... 2 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment