Friday, November 6, 2015

Stevie Wonder - Talking Book (1972)



I'm getting overwhelmed with the idea that I have to write long spiels for every album, so for this one, which I expect to be a relative breeze, I'm gonna let it play and keep my comments as brief as I can, like I did in the old days.

Some of the vocal overdubs in "Maybe Your Baby" had to have been the inspiration for most of Michael Jackson's vocal ticks. If you listen to the song you'll know what I mean. The song ends with an extended slow groove featuring Wonder's voice saying "Maybe your baby done made some other plans!" with different levels of varispeed applied. It was damn funky, but a weird kind of funky that's not really pleasing, and definitely way too long.

"Superstition" is the album's standout megahit, and it's no secret why. Stevie Wonder perfected rock-funk fusion with the song's killer clavinet riff. What's really striking listening to Talking Book is how easy-listening the album was through the first five tracks before "Superstition" slaps you in the face, forces you onto the dance floor, and makes you shake your ass. "Superstition" is even more striking in light of the song that follows. "Big Brother" is a bit of an unorthodox mix of country folk and electric funk. I'm actually not really sure how to classify it. It's bizzare and multi-layered with a pretty simple boppy progression. I'm sure I like it, that's the best I can do.

I could go either way on this album. For the most part it's slow easy-listening funk. I can usually get behind that. So I will. 3 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment