Wednesday, September 20, 2017

X - Wild Gift (1981)


Early 80s punk that sounds like it was being played through a cardboard tube. That might be all the insight I have into Wild Gift.

I might need to ask my friends who were really into punk rock in the early 80s if this is supposed to be any good. On the one hand the first 2 tracks are pretty standard punk rock fair. But then the third song is a somewhat earnest riff on surfer music. I applaud a band that tries out other genres, and it's not a bad song. I just think The Dictators already did it a thousand times better and way more effectively subverted the genre.

Might as well listen to a great song while you're here...

As far as I'm concerned the only thing that makes X stand out is that they have a female singer. Not that other bands don't have female singers, just that so far I haven't heard a pure punk band from my list with a female singer. I don't think Wild Gift is horrible but it's so meh compared to other stuff I've heard I'm not sure what the big deal is supposed to be. I should be used to that feeling but it's really bothering me with Wild Gift for some reason. 2 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment