Monday, June 9, 2014

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - Murder Ballads (1996)


The first song on this album sounds like it was sung by a carnie vampire beckoning me to come into his haunted house. Based on the second song, it sounds like this is the voice this "Nick Cave" guy is going with. Great. The second song features some really forced swearing, as if the lead singer has no idea how to effectively use profanity. Ugh, this is terrible. The background music just cycles the same pattern over and over while the lead singer bullies my ears with inane lyrics.

The third song tries to appease me with a dark lullaby featuring a sultry alto singer, but I'm already sour on the male lead. This strikes me as a poor album to play if my friend were contemplating suicide. It's always dark, it's always windy, it's always spooky. The whole thing reminds me of death, dying, haunting... There's just too much of that for one album.

I do kinda like this song "Where The Wild Roses Grow". Like the other songs it's haunting and reminds me of death, but by itself I think I wouldn't mind it on a playlist of other songs that don't make me want to kill myself.

Man, some of these songs just go on and on, particularly "The Curse Of Milhaven". I think I get it, Nick. Everyone has to die. No really, I get it. We all have to die. Death. Dying. Sadness. Bleakness. Death and more death. Why do some artists become so obsessed with death? I understand writing one or two songs about death or whatever, but Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds seem to have made death their one theme.

I guess their other albums could be different. This one was called Murder Ballads after all. But it just really really sucked. I would never recommend anyone listen to it. I'm pretty angry that the album had the nerve to close with a song called "Death Is Not The End". Mixed message, much? I mean death is all dark and spooky and haunting and lonely, but relax because it's not the end. If you say so, but that's little comfort to atheists isn't it? Fuck this album. 1 star.

No comments:

Post a Comment