Thursday, August 7, 2014

John Prine - John Prine (1971)


John Prine has a traditional folk leaning and a deep country twang. I'd say he sounds like John Denver with a hint of attitude, but I don't want to start making John Denver comparisons, as if I knew anything about John Denver. I also thought Mr. Prine was a bit like a country version Bob Dylan. But his lyrics aren't really thick like Dylan's. So then I thought of Jim Croce, because Prine's traditional-ish style is also laced with a touch of redneck humor. But Prine's music is much more elegant, featuring beautifully layered Hammond organ arrangement.

The middle part of the album changes to a soft southern rock style, adding piano, bass, and electric guitar. This brings to mind Jimmy Buffet a bit, but not in the sense that John Prine thinks it's awesome to be himself and live on an island. It's more just the laid back less-serious style. Some songs are really heavy on the sad/annoying slide guitar. I will say the album sounds beautiful, like most albums from the early 70s do. But the songs are really repetitive, mostly traditional acoustic country-folk laced with organ. The songs mostly stick with a slow tempo, sometimes in 3/4 but usually in 4/4. I really liked the first 4 songs but was bored with the rest. Still, I think a little John Prine will improve your day. 3 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment