Monday, October 27, 2014

Rocket From The Crypt - Scream, Dracula, Scream (1995)


Every now and then a group shows up on my list that I've never heard of before, like Rocket From The Crypt. Maybe I have heard of them but I don't recall, so that couldn't have possibly been that big, right? Then I look them up on Rdio... 12 albums? That's a lot for a band I didn't even knew existed until 5 minutes ago.

Rocket From The Crypt is a punk/alt rock band that features horns. In the mid-90s that might have gotten them labeled as a ska band, but they don't have much of the latin/reggae influence that true ska bands feature. They play lots of chunky power chords and sing some heavily testosterone-soaked vocals. The sound is standard 90s power rock- heavy, clear, and bland. The band I'm thinking of right now is Smash Mouth, but that's not fair. Smash Mouth was sugar-coated awfulness. Rocket From The Crypt aren't terrible, and have a bit of edginess to their music, but they sure are blah. Really the title is the heaviest part of the album.

There just isn't much to say about Scream, Dracula, Scream. If you like generic hard rock with horns check it out. But it certainly isn't something you must hear before you die. 2 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment