Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Wu-Tang Clan - Enter The Wu-Tang (36 Chambers) (1993)


Shocker. Wu-Tang is representin' with fly beats and dope rhymes.. And stuff about guns and murder. And niggas. Sigh. I really don't know if I'll have too much more to say. So bring it on nigga.

That's a quote by the way. It's OK to say it if I'm quoting someone else.

"Shame On A Nigga" features a charming interlude about diarrhea and gonorrhea. Until now I never had to think about how similar those two words are. Thanks, Wu-Tang Clan!

"Wu-Tang: 7th Chamber" features one of those forced radio-play deals that many a rap album is known to do. Surprise, I'm not much into rap, so I have to wonder if these are ever really successful in making the performers within sound badass. To me it makes them sound like really bad actors.

"Can It Be All So Simple" has a neat weird bass sound, but like most rap songs it goes on and on wearing really thin by the end. The song ends with a non-sensicle "intermission" that even though it just features a bunch of guys talking I still have no idea what they're going on about.

Enter The Wu-Tang takes a lot of repetitive samples from old-time samuri movies where a master is giving instructions about how to use a sword or something. "Da Mystery of Chessboxin'" has an occasional acapella bassline that goes, "Doo Ahh Doo Ahh Doo" to the point where I felt like my brain was seizing. If the actual song has anything to do with actual chessboxing I missed it. "Method Man" closes with a charming few lines of the rapper coughing.

Did you know Wu-Tang Clan ain't nuthin' to fuck wit? Ugh. In short, Wu-Tang Clan did nothing I haven't heard before, so fuck them. 1 star. Jeez, that was one of the longest hours of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment