Friday, February 6, 2015

Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark - Architecture & Morality (1981)


Ugh... 80s music. This band and album, both with overly pretentious names, are so absurdly 80s, probably the most 80s music I've ever heard. "The New Stone Age" is essentially 2 power chords over a driving bass drum drowned in out of tune synthesizer notes. There's also some guy warbling something in that 80s musical accent.

That's it. My mind is broken. The only adjective I can come up with to describe Architecture & Morality is "80s". It's just layers of reverb, outdated synths, soft rhythms, and people singing in possibly faux British accents. I can even imagine the music videos for all of these songs. There's lots of dry-ice fog, teased hair, blue eye-liner, denim, and cheap cardboard sets that fade to black. At some point people will do a line dance. A girl will flip her hair so we can watch it bounce and all her earings will jangle. At some point the lead singer will look right into the camera with a sad face and desperately extend his hand. Maybe these are things that weren't actually endemic to 80s music videos. I actually didn't get to watch a lot of MTV in the 80s seeing as how I was like 5 years old for most of them.

With such a weighty title like "Architecture & Morality" I was expecting the title track to be more than just a bunch of synthesized noise. There's no lyrics here, unless you count digital benedicting monks saying "AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH..." for four minutes. What was the point of giving that such a complicated name? It's like an extra level of pretentiousness. Not only does this song address some form of morality, but you have to figure it out for yourself by interpretting the music.

I don't know how much more I can say about 80s music, but I'm sure I'll have to say it all again real soon. 2 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment