Friday, May 15, 2015

Emmylou Harris, Linda Ronstadt & Dolly Parton - Trio (1987)


A trio of female country music legends singing country music in the 80s? Sign me up! Not really. What I really mean to say is uhhhhnnnnn... this is gonna be lame. Maybe.

But then again maybe not. The album leads off with a trio of slow numbers which are more like traditional rock from the 50s with just enough twang to qualify as country. Harris, Ronstadt, and Parton create a lovely 3-part harmony together, though it's not quite as magical a grouping as say Crosby, Stills, and Nash. This would be a good album to fall asleep to, really. It's low-energy acoustic country following relatively basic progressions and good-not-great melodies. I literally have nothing to complain about, but also nothing to really talk about. I certainly wasn't expecting to hear such a traditional and lovely country album made in the 80s, when nothing ruled like doing way too much. But I guess there's no stopping such traditional and lovely singers like Harris, Ronstadt, and Parton from making music that sounds good.

Anyhoo, Trio... lovely but not my cup of tea. 2 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment