Monday, June 22, 2015

The Auteurs - New Wave (1993)


Thanks to Roni Size I am not at all looking forward to this album. I'm being totally unfair to The Auteurs here, but holy shit, New Forms was a horrible waste of time, and I'm afraid New Wave might just be more of the same crap just based on the name. It's completely unreasonable but I can't ignore my feelings.

Well thank goodness, The Auteurs are not a shitty techno group, they're a bland alt. rock band. "Show Girl" leads me to believe the lead singer really wishes he were John Lennon, and not the competent and self-reflective John Lennon from the Beatles For Sale days, but the John Lennon on acid and completely up his own ass from the The Beatles days. Bad choice, especially to go with your flat maudlin rock music. Two songs in I'm convinced if this were released in 2003 The Auteurs would be called "indie rock", and I hate indie rock.

I don't hate New Wave. It's soft and sorta sad, like a really twee version of Radiohead. One thing I'm finding slightly annoying is the songs don't really come to a satisfying conclusion. They just sorta end in what seems like the middle of a verse or chorus. On the other hand at least these songs aren't stretched out interminably like say Roni Size's or Metallica's. What's legitimately annoying is I feel like The Auteurs have only one real idea for a song- something slightly sad or slightly angry, anything they can play in a minor key, as long as they don't have to expend too much energy.

Whatever makes you want to make music I guess. I didn't care much for it but didn't hate it. 2 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment