Thursday, October 22, 2015

Dizzee Rascal - Boy In Da Corner (2003)



It's a rap album. What do you expect me to say? As Dizzie himself says in the opener "Sittin' Here" it's the same old story. Every time the song sounds like it's about to end Dizzee starts up with another verse that I can hardly understand because he's talking too fast and the vocals are haphazardly double-tracked and overdubbed with "ah-ah-ah-ah". "Stop Dat" is even worse. If Dizzie is going to make this little sense he might as well just sing scat.

If you'll excuse me, I'm going to listen to a bit of Ella Fitzgerald. Feel free to join me...


"I Luv U" is some kind of cruel joke. Not only does it have exactly the same tempo as "Stop Dat" which played right before it, but both contain the same digitized fart noises. I'm not surprised when two rap songs sound the same, but this is particularly egregious. It's like that time Nickleback was caught self-plagerizing, except "Stop Dat" and "I Luv U" are back-to-back on the same album. The fourth song on the album is at least a different, ahem, "melody" but exactly the same rhythm as the previous 2 songs. Same story with the song that follows "2 Far". Dizzee Rascal thus far is a one-trick pony, though I should give him credit for his ability to rap quickly over a slow beat.

Luckily I sorta fell asleep for a couple of songs, not that I feel like I missed anything. One thing that's weird is Dizzee's tendancy to switch between his seemingly natural London accent (natural because he's from London) and a mixture of a generic African accent and astereotypical Jamaican accent. That's about as inventive as he gets. The album is littered with repetitive digital effects that sound like farts, boring beats, and self-name-checking. At least I didn't hear much boasting about how awesome Dizzee thinks he is and how many bitches he capped or whatever. That's worth 2 stars instead of 1 I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment