Tuesday, June 21, 2016

2Pac - Me Against The World (1995)


Why do so many rap albums need to start with an introduction? In this case the cleverly titled "Intro" faux-news anchors read clips of various tales from 2Pac's violent life, including being shot in the head twice, surviving, and checking out of a hospital against doctor's advice (which I guess makes him look like a badass). Also of note is 2Pac's prison sentence which he was serving when this album was released, giving him the distinction of being the only artist to have a Billboard 200 #1 album while serving a prison sentence. I imagine this gives him "cred" in certain circles. Since he was in prison for being convicted of sexual assault I don't see why he should deserve any "cred."

So it would be nice if albums didn't introduce themselves with such crap and instead relied on the music to sell themselves. But this is a rap album, so it's unlikely the music will actually be any good. "If I Die 2Nite" proves my point by featuring everything I typically hate on in a rap song. Niggas and bitches and pussy and glocks and shitty samples and 2Pac talking so goddamn fast I can't understand anything he's saying except an odd profanity here and there. Except... did I hear this right? "I'm seeing cemetery photos of my penis."

I have to listen to an hour of this? Ouch.

I really just don't care anymore. Listening to any more rap seems like an enormous waste of time. "It ain't easy being me. Will I see the penitentiary, or will I stay free?" I think 2Pac said that line 20 times in a row. If you have to ask yourself such a question maybe you should wonder if maybe you're the problem and what's really not easy is being the people who have to deal with your shit. Particularly the sexual assault stuff. I really feel like I spent hours listening to Me Against The World. But I didn't hate it. 2 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment