Monday, December 8, 2014

Nick Drake - Pink Moon (1972)


"Pink Moon" is a cool little tune. No idea what it's supposed to be about or if a pink moon symbolizes something. I just like how the song combines a sweet acoustic melody with a slightly haunting and dark vocal. The song following "Place To Be" spoils the mood a little bit by following the same idea and even the same rhythm. I hope this isn't the only thing Nick Drake is gonna do with this album. I mean, I like acoustic guitar and all but even over a short 28-minute running time variety is the spice of life.

Nick Drake is an excellent acoustic folk guitarist, but his singing technique is lacking. I don't remember feeling the same thing when I reviewed Five Leaves Left, though to be fair that review was at least 2 years ago. Maybe I'm just in a crappier mood this time and Nick Drake is wearing on me a bit. Anyway, Drake uses a slightly off-key breathy low tenor and loves holding notes in the middle of each line.

It could also be that I'm tired and Nick Drake's kinda small effort is lulling me to sleep.  "Know" has got to be the worst song on the album. It's just a single repeated 1-measure riff that goes: "Doooo doot doot, doot-doo-doo-doo," over and over again. There's a hint of single after it but nothing major.

(About that last sentence- I wrote it as I was literally falling asleep. I have no idea what it means or what I was thinking when I wrote it. I don't even remember writing it. I'm surprised it's as coherent as it is. Most of the time when I write as I'm falling asleep it doesn't even come out as words. In this case, the correct words and spelling came out but not a real thought. Weird.)

I like the song "Pink Moon" but I didn't really like the album Pink Moon. 2 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment