Monday, December 7, 2015

Adele - 19 (2008)


Since everyone is talking about Adele, and I'm getting tired of seeing her face everywhere without knowing what the big deal is, I've decided I need to look into Adele.

My only real knowledge of Adele comes from 4 songs of her's I'm familiar with and kinda hate. It's not about Adele or her voice, it's about how easy it is to get those stupid songs stuck in my head, particularly "Rumor Has It". On talent alone I think Adele has a very nice voice, a raw soulful alto which she expertly uses to sing raunchy blues or painful ballads. But in the short time I've known of Adele I feel like I've been overexposed. It's probably just the flood of people telling me she's amazing coupled with the fact that I've heard "Rumor Has It", "Someone Like You", and "Rolling In The Deep" way too many times on the radio (the fourth song I know of is the theme from Skyfall). At least I used to hear them all the time. Then Adele disappeared for a couple years and the next hot new thing swept over us and became the greatest thing ever (whatever that was).

But now Adele is back and better than ever! Or is she? I don't know if I can tell you that without first listening to what she was back when she was hot. And by that, I mean when she first became popular, because she's always been hot.

Adele's debut album was 19, which was actually released when she was 20. Or maybe her first 18 albums were so awful they were quickly deleted? Either way we begin with a twee guitar gently playing a couple notes before Adele comes pounding in really strong with "Daydreamer". Now I remember why I kinda don't like Adele. Her voice is a bit too strong against a quiet acoustic guitar, and she overuses the soulful flourishes, in a few occasions apparently intentionally cracking them.

"Best For Last" has a much fuller arrangement and deeper bass to support Adele's vocals. I know the story behind "Chasing Pavements" but feel the lyrical metaphor is kinda stretched. Nevertheless the song has a solid cheesy orchestral backing that reminds me of a 70s pop song. Well played, Adele. There are multiple instances in "Melt My Heart To Stone" where Adele's voice squeaks when she reaches a bit too high. It would be cute if she didn't do it 3 times. "Right As Rain" reminds me a bit of Three Dog Night with its opening organ riff. "Tired" has a neat progressive/symphonic bent, though is a bit heavy on the windy sound effects.

19 plays around quite a bit between fun tunes and sad ballads. I've always thought Adele was firmly planted in blues, but on much of 19 I felt she fit better with country-lite. Might have just been the song selection- the less inspired tracks just didn't do much for me, kinda like mildly annoying country music. But the good songs were very good, especially when Adele is accompanied by a string arrangement. I still feel she comes on a bit strong on her own, which could probably be fixed if her voice was mixed a bit lower. Whatver, 19 was pretty good. 3 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment