Wednesday, December 23, 2015

The Cure - Disintegration (1989)


I wonder if The Cure wanted to be Pink Floyd. The opening track on Disintegration reminds me of a Floyd tune if you took away all the awesome 70s crunchiness and replaced it with the washed out synth dreariness of the 80s. At least the song was "short", just over 5 minutes long. My guess is "Pictures of You" will be more representative of the rest of this album- long, repetitive, and dreary.

"Love Song" is pretty short and sweet. I'm once again reminded of some of the level music from Sonic The Hedgehog, and it also makes me think of what would later become known as "indie rock". I do appreciate that with "Love Song" at least The Cure establishes some sort of structure by using a verse-chorus-verse structure instead of just a constant droning progression. "Last Dance" takes way too long to get going. The opening instrumental is more than 2 minutes long for a 4-minute song. Does The Cure make the common mistake of confusing "long" with "epic?" Hopefully not, I have almost an hour more of this album to get through.

"Lullaby" is really creepy, and borders on embarrassingly bad. Is the vocalist's Spider-Man the same as my Spider-Man? Because the Spider-Man I know doesn't usually eat people. I'm sure superfans of The Cure will tell me I have no idea what I'm talking about. "Fascination Street" drones on for more than 5 minutes and has maybe 3 lines of lyrics. I wouldn't care so much if there were some kind of guitar or piano solo, but there's really nothing beyond a nearly endless repetition of the initial groove. "The Same Deep Water As You" does have a minimalist guitar solo over it's slow groove which would work OK if the song weren't over 9 minutes long.

Disintegration is a boring overlong emo epic. Thank goodness it's the last of 3 The Cure albums I have to listen to during this project. Unfortunately I doubt it's the last 80s album I'll need to hear before I die. Ugh. 2 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment