Monday, May 16, 2016

Miles Davis - Kind of Blue (1959)


I haven't done an album from the 1950's in quite a while, nor have I reviewed a proper jazz album in a long time. Both things tend to bore me quite a bit, but this is Miles Davis we're talking about, amiright? Actually, I don't even know if I'm right about that. I know the name Miles Davis but can't tell you much about his music. What I do know is most times I'm told someone is legendary and one-of-a-kind I tend to be disappointed. Such is life.

I suppose in 1959 this album was revolutionary to the world of jazz or whatever, but by the time every 9-minute song is done you really feel like you haven't moved for half an hour. The same passages repeat endlessly, with very light solos by various instruments, including 2 different saxophonists. This is one of the longest 35-minute albums I've listened to. The only thing I found really interesting was when the longest song on the album "All Blues" seemed to randomly and rapidly fade out in the middle of a measure.

If you like quiet smooth jazz I imagine you've already heard this album. If you don't, I imagine you haven't. It's nice relaxing elevator music I guess but I really only needed to hear it once. If that. 2 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment