Friday, May 27, 2016

Suba - São Paulo Confessions (2000)


I'm probably gonna have no real clue on this one. Suba is a Serbian musician, of which I have no real concept. I've also never been to São Paulo. But all I really ask of new music is not to be repetitive, simplistic, derivative, over-synthesized, over-long, full of samples, or fall under the genres of rap, hip-hop, country, or teenie-pop. Is that really too much?

São Paulo Confessions was meant to invoke the foggy, humid atmosphere of living in a tropical metropolis. I'm definitely feeling the fog, as the sound is very thick and hazy. "Você Gosta (I Know What You Like)" is the most breathy, whispery song I've ever heard in my life. Aside from that this album is committing three serious sins in being repetitive and largely synthesized, which I would forgive, if not for also being over-long. There's also very little life to any of the tracks on this album. São Paulo sounds like a great place to fall into a very deep sleep based on Suba's unenergetic ode to the city.

The most interesting about São Paulo Confessions is that Suba was killed in a fire shortly after the album was released. That's awful to say, but I have to wonder if this album would have gained as much notoriety as it has if Suba had gone on to make more like it. It's possible... there is a large market for this kind of electronic music, even if it is just the same crap over and over.

It turns out São Paulo Confessions wasn't particularly beyond my comprehension. It was just more electronic crud I've heard a billion times with a Serbian/Brazilian twist. My favorite song by far was "Abraco (Embrace)" which featured an awesome rap in Brazilian by the most intense bass vocalist I've ever heard. The rest was pretty boring. 2 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment