Monday, September 26, 2016

Prince - Sign O' The Times (1987)


So I've now listened to 3 Prince albums, and I still don't fucking get it. I liked Purple Rain. It might have had something to do with that album being in the 40 minute range. Sign O' The Times meanwhile clocks in at a soul-swallowing 80 minutes. And it's all the same whiny cheesy synthesized nonsense as last time. I can't think of one memorable song off this piece of junk. I remember one song where Prince's backup singers did the Oh-we-oh bit from The Wizard of Oz movie, but the only other thing I remember is the part where Prince tells me he wants to be my girlfriend. Also the part where he talks about sex, and it's the least erotic thing ever.

Whenever I hear Prince's voice I can't help but think of Ice JJ Fish. In Mr. Fish's case I can at least defend what he's doing as totally sincere. At least I hope it's sincere. Prince is starting to strike me as a guy who sings intentionally bad, like Lou Reed. Am I crazy for thinking this way? And it's not just his singing that's intentionally bad. His songs are stuffed with noise as if he were trying to create a revolutionary synthesized sound. It doesn't work. It's a mess and I hate it.

I've been gone so long. I was hoping to come back to this blog feeling good about something. Ick. 1 star.

No comments:

Post a Comment