Wednesday, November 8, 2017

Elbow - The Seldom Seen Kid (2008)


Once again, I've taken several months off. And I hope that a band called Elbow that made an album in 2008 doesn't totally suck. We shall see.

"Starlings" is mostly a quiet droning vibraphone playing two chords endlessly, though occasionally there will be a loud BWAAAAAAAAHHHHH!!! from a brass section. The melody ain't that bad, though the lead vocalist's voice leaves something to be desired. Funny lyric: "I guess that I am asking you to back a horse that's good for glue and nothing else."

Elbow is a very British band in that the lead singer's accent is very thick. I might be a bit biased against such a thing after listening to the catalog of one Ed Sheeran. But I'm also not a huge fan of Elbow's need to be so twee while also crowding their music with so many instruments. At least they're more interesting than Arcade Fire.

By the time I reach "The Fix" I realize that the album has been pretty dour. I'm reminded a bit of Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, maybe because the guest vocalist on this track sounds a bit like a vampire. Is "vampire rock" a genre? If it were that's how I'd classify "The Fix" and the middle portion of The Seldom Seen Kid.

After that though I thought the album ended solidly. "One Day Like This" is very uplifting, a bit faux-epic but not annoyingly. The Seldom Seen Kid is a bit overstuffed but there are a few good songs. I really didn't expect to wind up liking an album made within the last 10 years but I kinda did. 3 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment