Friday, March 16, 2018

The Undertones - The Undertones (1979)


Going by the first song, The Undertones are a slightly peppier, friendlier version of The Ramones. Firmly in the punk genre, but more jangly and fun, not quite as raw. I'm trying to commit the opening rhythm and riff to memory so I can see how many songs follow that pattern.

I highly expect this album to be a largely power-chord driven affair. I probably won't mind that too much since the album is only 29 minutes long. Half way through there isn't much variety to The Undertones. It's the same crunchy guitar and bopping rhythm section. Occasionally an organ will join the mix.

I feel like The Undertones really want to be a surfer band, though I got the same vibe from a few of The Dictators' songs so maybe that was prevalent in the early punk scene. The track "True Confessions" sticks out quite a bit. As opposed to the standard chunky punk songs on the rest of the album, "True Confessions" is more of a proto-new wave song driven by a droning key board and almost ethereal drums and lyrics. After it's brief runtime it's back to more chunky power chords.

I didn't mind it. Not sure what makes The Undertones one of the greatest punk rock albums of all time but sure. 3 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment