Monday, April 20, 2015

Earth, Wind, & Fire - That's The Way Of The World (1975)


Thank you Jesus. I needed some classic funk. That bullshit calling itself drum'n'bass has nothing on funk when it comes to actual drums and bass. The only thing wrong with this album's opening track "Shining Star" is that it's less than 3 minutes long. It's over way too quickly, and I honestly considered looping it for 30 minutes and calling that my own alternate version of this album.

I'm totally not used to this right now, listening to music and everything is working perfect. Great funky rhythm, fantastic singing with multi-part harmonies, and supporting players on strings and brass blended expertly into the background. It's such a rich and colorful album. I've spent so much time lately shitting on albums I kinda have no idea what to write when I honestly like something.

I was a bit worried in the last verse of "All About Love" when the vocalist told me he was gonna rap to me. Thankfully he meant he was just gonna talk seriously to me for a second about love. I was worried he was about to break it down and tell me how awesome and dope he was and how he capped that bitch or whatever. "All About Love" also features a weirdly discordant organ coda that almost sounds like it was left on the tape by accident. Maybe it's meant to be a hidden track?

In short, Earth, Wind, & Fire rocks. If you hate funk music you're wrong. That's The Way Of The World is awesome. 4 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment