Wednesday, April 22, 2015

The Isley Brothers - 3 + 3 (1973)


I suppose it's just as racist as assuming Terrence Trent D'arby's music was hip-hop/rap to assume that The Isley Brothers, who released the above album in 1973, will be playing funk. Maybe I'm just really hopeful.

So I turn on "That Lady, Pts. 1 & 2" and realize yeah, I should have known who The Isley Brothers were. And they are funky. Maybe too funky. "That Lady, Pts 1 & 2" features two verses of lyrics then an extended distorted keyboard (or maybe guitar, not sure) solo that goes on for 3 minutes. I mean, funk is great and all. I love the sound, especially the wocka-chicka guitar, but the distorted solo is too much of a good thing.

"If You Were There" is a cool poppy funk number, but the instrumentation is quite noisy. There's so much bass in the mix that the whole song feels like it's rumbling. I get the same feeling from "You Walk Your Way." The music is still good, it just could use a bit less bottom end.

The band's cover of "Listen To The Music" is pretty flat and uninteresting compared to the Doobie Brothers' original. Some of the original upbeat atmosphere of the song has been lost. It could have used a more inspired arrangement than, "Let's just play it really funky." Conversely their cover of "Sunshine (Go Away Today)" originally by Jonathan Edwards adds a really neat bass line that fits nicely with the dark nature of the lyrics.

I have a lot of good thoughts about 3 + 3. It's a rich, pleasant album with a funky mix of upbeat "rockers" and soulful ballads. I'd listen again. 3 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment