Monday, May 12, 2014

The Beatles - I Feel Fine/She's A Woman, Beatles For Sale, & Ticket To Ride/Yes It Is (1964)



"I Feel Fine" opens with a great riff. The song itself sounds like they're playing in a tunnel. There's a lot of echo. "She's A Woman" has the same effect. You know, I used to complain about The Beatles' early recordings all sounding the same as if their first five albums were all recorded at once then released sporadically over a couple years. Now I'm learning there are different shades to their sound, but at least on their early albums it was different shades of crappy.


I don't know what it is about the Beatles For Sale cover, but I really like it. It's colorful without being gawdy, the band members look like they're in sync and not awkwardly forced to be presentable, and Ringo is wearing an absurdly oversized turtleneck while still looking classy.

So the first few songs on Beatles For Sale are a nice dark turn and the album is coming together well. Then they do a cover of "Rock and Roll Music" which just breaks the thing. That didn't need to be there. It's so out of place after three cohesive original tunes. The way The Beatles did their covers on these early albums is just unfortunate and feels like needless filler. The rest of Beatles For Sale is really good material, the best I've heard of The Beatles so far. I mean, it's nothing crazy-good that if you haven't heard it you're missing out, but it is good. I'm kinda in love with the opening track "No Reply".


"Ticket To Ride" is a good song, but I like the B-side "Yes It Is" better. Maybe it's because I've heard "Ticket To Ride" about a billion times and I'm tired of it, while I'm pretty sure this is the first time I've ever heard "Yes It Is". I like both songs in any case.

And if you didn't know what I meant by the Beatles For Sale album not looking forced or awkward, look at the cover for the "Ticket To Ride" single. Paul looks normal, Ringo looks drunk, George is yelling at the cameraman for some reason, while John is smiling in spite of his horribly sunburnt face. They couldn't find a better picture than this?

Anyway, take out the stupid covers on Beatles For Sale and replace them with the four songs from the singles and you've got a really good album. 3 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment