Friday, May 16, 2014

The Beatles - We Can Work It Out/Day Tripper and Rubber Soul (1965)



If you had to release a single, this is how you do it. "We Can Work It Out" and "Day Tripper" are two of the best Beatles songs and they were not part of any album. They were released as a double-A-side single. Those Beatles completists were not screwed out of any money by being forced to buy these songs twice, and those Beatles fans who couldn't afford a full album got two expertly crafted tunes without any filler. Sweet deal.

"We Can Work It Out" is a particularly packed tune. It has unconventional instruments for a rock song, shifting time signature, Lennon and McCartney trading harmonies, and a back-and-forth slightly happy, slightly bleak tone all in under three minutes. "Day Tripper" is a clever twist on a standard 12-bar-blues rocker and features a cool guitar riff.

I do have one problem with the single. They reused the cover photo from Beatles For Sale. It's a nice photo, but it spoils the perception of these releases as separate artistic works. I can just see some marketer in an office saying, "We need a cover. Let's just use this photo," for both the album and the single. On top of that the music on the single doesn't really sound like it would fit on Beatles For Sale. They really should have used something else for the cover.

It's also interesting that those involved decided to release this single the same day Rubber Soul was released. I would think one release would completely drown out the other.


Rubber Soul starts out with a huge burst of energy, "Drive My Car", which fits in well with "Day Tripper". It's almost like a spiritual sequel. The album has by far the best Beatles sound of any I've reviewed. It's really smooth and clean, and it's nice not to complain about that. Also the album is full of rich material, such as "Norwegian Wood" which I forgot was a Beatles song until just now. There's also "In My Life" which I occasionally find myself humming without even remembering what song it is.

I do think the album drags in the mid section a bit, or as much as an album full of 2-minute songs can drag. But put together this is the best collection of Beatles material I've heard. The band really is evolving- the sound is getting better, and their material stronger and richer. 4 stars.

Addendum: I don't think I realized how cool my friends were until I put Rubber Soul on at a party and people were actually dancing to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment