Friday, June 13, 2014

Einstürzende Neubauten - Kollaps (1981)


Maybe this "music" would make sense if I could understand the words. Probably the only good thing about this album is the German "lyrics" make every word sound like a profanity. That may or may not be true. If a German-speaking friend of mine would be kind enough to listen and translate... No, never mind. Please don't. I would suddenly have one fewer friend if one were to listen to this album because I asked them to.

The second song opens with the sound of a really large drill bit slowly grinding through a sheet of metal, which is fitting because the rest of the music is reminiscent of that sound. Basically any form of metal scraping or banging or crashing sound you can think of has been made into "music" for Kollaps. I think I may have found my new Scum. When I said that album was not music but something else, I wasn't sure how much further a band could go. Kollaps is making me wonder all over again.

I'm also thinking about "Revolution 9". Why? Because that "song" was released by The Beatles it's greatness or lack thereof is constantly debated. If The Beatles had tried to release garbage like what is found on Kollaps, I wonder if it would attract similar debate or would have been rightfully dismissed. That doesn't have much to do with Einstürzende Neubauten (translated: Collapsing New Buildings) but I was thinking about it.

In any case, Kollaps was annoying at first but I sorta settled in about halfway through. It also happens the "songs" got a bit, dare I say it, better in the second half. It was still pretty terrible, but I didn't hate it. Much like Scum I spent a good amount of time finding it humorous. 2 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment