Monday, June 16, 2014

Missy Elliot - Supa Dupa Fly (1997)


I don't know why I'm still shocked by how awful these rap albums are. Maybe it's that expect not to be shocked again, then I am, so it's doubly shocking. After all the rap albums I've listened to I'd think I'm ready for any shit they're gonna throw at me. Then I turn on Supda Dupa Fly and Busta Rhymes is on the first track to "introduce" the album to my ears. He does so by saying "niggers" a lot and yelling "AH AH AH AH AH AH" a lot. Hopefully Missy Elliot has a bit more talent than that.

"Beep Beep. Who got the keys to the Jeep? Vvvvrrrrooooooommmm!" Oy. I also get the idea that she can't stand the rain against her window. Maybe she should buy some shutters. I'm pretty sure in this "Pass The Blunt" song she's saying "I've got the runs". Then there's the song "Friendly Skies" where she is clearly implying she wants to have sex with someone, but instead of using "fuck" or "hump" or something, she just says "I wanna *uhn* you!" I think you know what I mean. But it's weird on an album labeled explicit that features plenty of swears and copious use of "niggers" that she would hold back the profanity on this cheesy little number.

"You've never heard beats like this before when me and Timberland walk through the door." Actually I have. In fact, I heard them before on this album. I've also heard them on all the other rap albums I've listened to. I've also heard them in all the songs you aped the samples from. So shut the fuck up Missy.

Listening to Missy moan on "Why You Hurt Me" literally made me double over in my seat. It was uncomfortable. In "I'm Talkin" Missy is sure to inform us "My style of rapping, I'm su-su-such a good rapper." For fuck's sake, does she have no shame? There's self-centered boasting, then there's being a lame asshole. It would be one thing if this were clearly satire, but that's not at all what it sounds like.

Oh shut your fucking face, Busta. Quit boasting about bringing this piece of shit into the world. I was actually just kinda letting it play and not hating it, but the second half was the kinda shit that makes me really angry. With this much profanity in a review it's nothing less than a 1-star turd ball.

No comments:

Post a Comment