Thursday, January 7, 2016

Al Green - Let's Stay Together (1972)


Mmmm... early 70s funk-pop. This is the kind of music that gives you a warm feeling in your chest, unless you are some kind of demon spawn from hell. I've only listened to half a song and I already want to love Al Green. I'll stay together with you Al, as long as you keep playing this music for the rest of our lives.



I do have one problem right away. Let's Stay Together sounds like it could use a good remastering. The music feels very muffled, which is weird for an album released in 1972. Green uses a standard blues backing band- guitar, bass, drums, sax, trumpet, trombone, hammond organ. He's got a terrific soft high-tenor voice. The result is about as perfectly nostalgic 70s soul as you will ever find. I do wish it sounded much sharper. As it is the album sounds like it should have been released a decade earlier.

Still a great album. And a short one too! I like short albums, because at the very least they don't waste a shitload of time! 4 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment