Tuesday, January 26, 2016

George Jones - The Grand Tour (1974)


I never know what to say about classic country music. Mr. Jones opens The Grand Tour with the title track, a sleepy slide-guitar ballad that I feel I've heard a million times even though I'm quite sure I've never listened to it once in my life. "Darlin'" features more slow slide guitar, but Mr. Jones is joined by a tenor male chorus that thankfully gives the song a different feel.

"She'll Love The One She's With" uses a similar idea as a certain Steven Stills song I'm sure you know. I never liked the idea that you should just give up your love to someone else because you can't be with who you really want. For some reason in the context of this song title it seems more rapey, probably because it feels less like advice given to a person and more like advice given to that person's abusive boyfriend.

"Who Will I Be Loving Now" gives me more dirty thoughts. Obviously the reason he's asking the question is because his girlfriend left him for another man. He talks about who he's going to kiss and whatnot, and all I can think is, "You don't care who you're going to love. You just care about if you're ever going to have sex again. Right?" Obviously his lyrics are slightly more romantic I guess.

In closing, The Grand Tour is a largely unenergetic cliched classic country album. From what I've read it's considered one of the finest country albums of all time. I guess I'm not one to judge country music. All I can say in the album's favor is it's really short. 28 minutes. If you're going to make a country album for me to listen to I really appreciate that sort of runtime. 2 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment