Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Keith Jarrett - The Köln Concert (1975)


Keith Jarrett is a piano player. And The Köln Concert is a recording of a concert he put on in 1975. Where he plays piano. For about 1 hour.

Yep... that's pretty much it. Hey, when I'm confronted with something simple there's really not much to go over. Jarrett plays what every review tells me is improvisational jazz, which I kinda have to believe. It doesn't feel like jazz at all, it feels very classical. I guess jazz can be whatever you want it to be as long as whoever is playing it is insanely talented. Keith Jarrett is certainly that. As most improvisationalists will do, he will start off playing one theme and slowly build on that idea until he's turned it inside out. Then quite masterfully Jarrett will wander into a new theme, build a new arrangement until it's unrecognizable, and repeat. If you don't like piano concerts you won't like this album. If you do, you will. I tend to be bored by piano concerts, but I kinda liked The Köln Concert. 3 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment