Thursday, July 3, 2014

Queen - A Night at the Opera (1975)


It's the one with "Bohemian Rhapsody". That alone should make this is 5-star album, amiright?

Well, no. I can't judge a whole album by it's one world-changing hit. This album also contains another Queen mega-hit, "You're My Best Friend". Then it contains a bunch of stuff you've probably never heard before unless you're a Queen fan. That's not meant to be a knock against Queen or anything. I guess I was expecting to be more familiar with the material, or to hear a song that I knew but haven't heard in a while.

So other than the two songs I just mentioned the rest of the music is good- complex, deep, well arranged, expertly played, all that. I did think it was a bit noisy in places. The overdubs were extremely layered but sounded sharp instead of deep. The song "I'm In Love With My Car" was a bit too ridiculous to work- the title and the tone make me think it's satire, but the lyrics are clearly sincere, so it's just weird. "The Prophet's Song" is stretched out with a series of a capella rounds by Freddie Mercury that become obnoxious after the first three minutes. Also a few of the songs aren't sung by Mercury. I'm sorry, but I just don't listen to a Queen record to hear drummer Roger Taylor or guitarist Brian May sing. They're great at their other jobs, but can't match the majesty of Freddie Mercury.

But yeah, the music was still good, and I can't deny the greatness of "You're My Best Friend" and "Bohemian Rhapsody". 3 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment