Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Siouxsie And The Banshees - The Scream (1978)


I've never heard of this group before. I'm guessing the the first part of the title is pronouced SOO-zee, as if it were a clever pun of the name Suzie. Hopefully that's not as clever as this album gets. Being released in 1978 I'm sorta planning on this being an early example of 80s synth-rock, in which case I'm not at all looking forward to it. Luckily it's only about 40 minutes long.

Oh dear... the first song is called "Pure", and features a bass and electric guitar meandering around a melody while a bunch of women howl in the background. Could this be even worse than I was expecting? Might it be an avant-garde expressionist up-our-own-ass experimental piece? ... I need to stop my habit of ranting before I listen to an albums.

OK, so the second song features some actual singing and playing. If this is indicative of the rest of the album then Siouxsie And The Banshees are what The B-52s would sound like if they only used their female lead vocalist and did punk. The band is very distorted and echoey, the guitars are pounding out the power chords, and the lead singer is yelling in a rough punkie-British accent. It's tough to follow because there's not a real progression or melody that everyone is following very closely. They might not even be singing in the same key.

The rest of the album gels together better, or maybe I just got used to the discontinuities between the various elements. The music was boring punk that didn't move me, but the lead singer made me pretty mad in the later tracks. She started doing this thing with her voice where she would randomly pop a high squeeky note for half a syllable. Other than that the album put me to sleep. Not a good sign for a supposed punk album. 2 stars, because it wasn't totally awful, but hardly anything to scream about.

No comments:

Post a Comment