Friday, April 11, 2014

Pink Floyd - The Dark Side Of The Moon (1978)



I didn't have a great response to The Wall, which was the first Pink Floyd album I've ever listened to in its entirety. Two words from that review that really stick out for me are obtuse and whiny. That was a shame, because I had previously heard some of the music from that album and liked it. Same is true with today's subject, a predecesor of The Wall, which I am reviewing now. Hopefully I won't have as sour an experience this time.

Ugh... well, of the first 3 songs, one was mostly silence and about 30 seconds of faint sound effects, one about two minutes of really slow dreariness, and one was synth droning. Then the fourth song is called "Time" and cleverly opens with various loud clocks and chimes, similar to the opening scene in Back To The Future. I am not amused. Music should not be reminding me of how annoying it is to wake up to a clock every morning. That being said the music following the clock assault is quite good.

Another case of the music being quite good while finding a way to be completey annoying is "The Great Gig In The Sky". It's a lovely soft piano piece that wastes a good melody by including no lyrics... I know, I'm the last person who complains about lack of lyrics. However in this case in lieu of lyrics Pink Floyd went with a soulful vocalist wailing over top of the piano. Four minutes of "OOOOOOOHHHHHH WHOOOOOAAAAHHH WHOOOOOAAAAAAAHHH..." is a bit much for my taste.

I guess Pink Floyd isn't the band for me. Their albums are just filled with a lot of overlong crud that doesn't really go anywhere. 2 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment