Friday, April 25, 2014

Rage Against The Machine - Rage Against The Machine (1992)


Rage Against The Machine is the unfortunate answer to what happens when you cross a genre Dave kinda likes, heavy metal, with a genre Dave despises, rap. I do often criticize rap and hip-hop artists for not actually playing any instruments. Well RATM certainly plays their own instruments, and if it were just that I'd probably be fine with their music. They have a really good hard sound, and know how to orchestrate an interesting song. Too bad they're stuck with that angry leftist asshole screeching over top of their music. Of course they're probably all leftists, not that there's anything wrong with that. Actually it doesn't matter to me why these guys are angry enough to perform music about it. All the screaming about whatever just completely ruins what could have been really cool metal music.

So here's my problem. I can't say I hate it because the instrumentation was pretty good. I am a bit angry about the shitty rapping that substituted for lyrics, but since the backing band clearly has talent I really can't give this 1 star. 2 stars typically means I had no serious emotional reaction to the album, which isn't the case. I could say I kinda liked it, but even that is a bit strong. Eh... well I guess in the end I wouldn't really ever consider listening to it again, which sounds like 2 stars to me. So yeah. 2 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment