Thursday, April 17, 2014

The Mothers Of Invention - Freak Out! (1966)


I wish Frank Zappa could have been a bit more serious. For me he almost creates the most perfect parodies of popular music styles from the 50s and 60s, but takes it a bit too far with the goofy sounds and vocals. He can definitely write a solid tune and has assembled a solid band. But why does every funky groove have to be broken apart by a wacky break? I keep saying, "I get it Frank, you're silly and zany, and it's fun to mess around with popular genres. Just please put down the kazoo."

I know I took a good swipe at the album in the first paragraph, but I actually sorta liked it. It was much better than We're Only In It For The Money, the previous Zappa effort I reviewed. Freak Out! is much more coherent and overall features far better music. Well, right up until "It Can't Happen Here" and "The Return of the Son of Monster Magnet". If I owned the original double LP it would pain me to have to keep the second record just so I didn't lose my copy of "Trouble Every Day". 3 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment