Wednesday, April 2, 2014

The Go-Betweens - 16 Lover's Lane (1988)


(originally posted on Facebook)



Hmm... first impression, this might wind up being an example of good 80s music. I'm feeling a bit of R.E.M. and an even touch of that quintessential 80s sound. There's a ton of reverb over everything, but at least The Go-Betweens are playing plenty of acoustic guitar, not just pounding out the synth. The singer is pretty soft, nothing special, but I appreciate he didn't put on the typical 80s-music-British accent. I also appreciate how the songs feel fresh and new. It's not that The Go-Betweens are doing anything particularly groundbreaking with their lyrics or progressions or sound. Maybe it's just such a pleasant surprise to not hate an 80s album that I feel I must heap an undue amount of praise on 16 Lover's Lane. I guess it doesn't really matter why I like an album. 3 stars.



Comments

Mo K - That's exactly how i feel. If i just like it, i like it!

Me - I'd rather have a reason I like something I would normally hate. I prefer things I can quantify. I like Led Zeppelin every song has something of a dynamic performance, be it a guitar solo, bass line, drum technique or scorching vocal. It's easy to recognize and point out. I hate 80's music because those elements are often lacking. I guess I wound up sorta liking The Go-Betweens because they had some dynamic beyond what I was expecting. I'm not sure that makes them good or if it was just more than I expected. Maybe it makes no difference.

Jenn K - Kassidy got a boombox for Christmas, I gave her some cds from my 80's stash.. then she stole Robert's Zeppelin cd the other day without asking and played it. Promptly she removed it and put back in my 80's disc and told me Zeppelin is boring and that she wouldn't steal it again. THAT'S MY GIRL!  (Sorry)

Me - Hmm... not sure you can really insult me by saying, "My 6-year old doesn't like music for grownups." <burn>

Jenn K - LOLz

Mo K - Hahaha

No comments:

Post a Comment