Wednesday, April 16, 2014

The Fall - The Infotainment Scan (1993)


I don't know. This album starts off as such a mess. The opener is garbled tinny hard rock played over a decent shuffling beat. The lead singer sounds like the guy from The B-52's if he downed a 40, stuffed his mouth full of marbles, then spit out the first words that came to mind. First impression... oh holy hell.

Now I'm halfway through The Infotainment Scan and starting to get angry. The only difference between this album and the other 80s dreck I've had to review is this album was released in 1993. I'm not really mad at the album or the band, they are what they are and can't change it. But seriously, the authors of my Big List make me scratch my head sometimes. There better be something really incredible on the B-side of this album, like a major hit from the 90s that I completely forgot about. Otherwise I'm calling bullshit on the list. Not that I'll stop using it to find more music. But sometimes I'm forced to consider the thought that the assholes who wrote this list picked at random.

One positive about The Infotainment Scan- It's nice to know I don't need any talent as a singer to get a record deal. What really gets me is there is nothing on this album I would consider an exemplary performance. No awesome guitar solo, no crazy drum pattern, no song that is so epic that it must be heard. So why should my life be incomplete without hearing this album? And why do I ask that question so frequently? Is it that music itself isn't all that great, and an album like this really does represent the cream of the crop? I don't want to believe that. 2 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment