Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Badly Drawn Boy - The Hour of Bewilderbeast (2000)




(originally posted to Facebook)

Just finished Badly Drawn Boy's album The Hour of Bewilderbeast. It's listed on Wikipedia as being in the "Indie-rock" genre. Am I crazy for finding that a bit ridiculous? Isn't the point of "independent" music to be outside the big record labels? Isn't the point of a genre supposed to be about having music of a certain sound grouped together for easy identification? So why would there be an "indie" genre? Shouldn't there be no particular sound to any of these bands that classify as "indie"? The funny thing is I do feel like I can identify a song as "indie-rock" just by listening to a few bars. Anyway, I enjoyed a couple of songs on the album, and they all had pretty good orchestration. Not Earth-shattering, and pretty much what I expect from an indie rock group. 3 stars... I might wind up buying music from this album, so I can say it's the best one I've heard so far on my quest.

No comments:

Post a Comment