Thursday, March 6, 2014

50 Cent - Get Rich or Die Tryin' (2003)



(originally posted on Facebook)


Hmmm... a rap album you say? Let's see some evidence. Drum machine- check. Synths- check. Looped samples of real instruments- check. Rapper mentions his own name- check check check check check check. Name-dropping famous rappers- check. Nigger thrown around as if it weren't a prejorative- check. Gangstas, homey, sluts, bitches, hos- check. I got all that after just two and a half songs.

Picture on the front of the rapper shirtless and looking greasy- check.

I did learn one interesting tidbit about 50 Cent listening to this album. At one point his name was actually pronounced "Fifty" Cent. 

I'm sure I've said this before, but if you are going to have a chorus in your song don't repeat it back to back with itself. It's padding and is just a flaming example of artistic laziness. I don't only criticize music I hate because of this.

I did sorta like the song "Blood Hound" because of the dog growl noise that kept playing in the background. It would have been funnier if it weren't the same canned sound played every time. That's one of my biggest problems with rap/hip-hop. Instead of actually playing everything, most of the songs are just loops. So there's no variation, no real experimentation. Just a string of 15 second loops playing over and over. It takes the humanity out of everything save the vocals, which have become so cliche I can't believe anyone cares any more.

Is it still a thing for a rap song to include a guest appearance by another rapper? And for said guest to show up just to say his name and how good his flow is and so forth? Why was that ever a thing? I don't think I even need to say it at this point... 1 star.

Comments

Harry - that's nigga not nigger lol

Me - Umm... distinction without a difference? I bet it wouldn't matter if I walked up to someone and called them "nigga" instead of "nigger" I'd still get my ass beaten.

Harry - lol thats true

No comments:

Post a Comment