Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Depeche Mode - Violator (1990)



(originally posted on Facebook)


While I'm still not a fan of electronic music, I do appreciate Mr. Mode for changing the key in the middle of the song. That's pretty unusual for this genre. Also unusual-a track without a drum machine backing. I would say I give Mr. Mode extra points for that, but as I only ever give out five maximum you have to do more than just a couple unexpected things. The music on Violator isn't terrible, but still pretty derivative. Did everyone in the 80's who did this kind of music have to sing with the same voice? Oh... I just looked up Depeche Mode and discovered it's not one guy, it's the name of the group. In my defense, not one of the songs sound like a group of humans were involved in composing them. Except for the guy singing, every element of this album could have been generated by a computer running an 80's music algorithm. Didn't hate it, so 2 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment