Monday, March 31, 2014

Eminem - The Marshall Mathers LP (2000)


(originally posted on Facebook)
  Lord save me. I've hated Eminem's music for a long time. Since high school, really. The thing is I've only heard a couple of his songs all the way through. Do I really need to know more than that? Is it wrong for me to judge an artist's work after such a small sample size? If he were part of any other genre I would say yes. Well, maybe not any other genre. I judge teeny pop probably just as harshly as I do rap. Still teeny pop is made to be completely disposable, whereas rap seems to stick just as well as the actual good genres. Anyway I guess I should listen to the actual album before ranting about how much it sucks.

I get the feeling Eminem is angry about something and wants to kill a bunch of women for being sluts. And if I mess with some guy named Shady then Eminem says, "I'm uh kill you!" whatever that means.

The second "song" on the album is called "Stan" and it's a pretty dark and depressing story of a fan writing to "Slim" and not getting a reply and slowly going insane and killing himself and his girlfriend. It would probably make a good music video, but I'm unimpressed with the "song". It's basically a guy talking over a continuous loop of music. It hits on one of my key problems with rap "music". All the writing talent goes into lyrics with no consideration of melody and bare-bones attention paid to the backing track, unless the song is going to include obnoxious sound effects, such as a quill scratching on paper to remind us these people are writing to each other. See, I like the idea of the song, but doing it as a rap is just so much easier than writing a complex and emotional piece of music that could really get me emotionally involved. So it makes me sad.

Have I said any of this before? How about this: How fucking cheap do you have to be to sing your chorus twice in a row? A chorus by itself is padding enough.

Oh, Eminem is the REAL Slim Shady? I've been an imitator this whole time? My whole world has come crumbling down.

Why is Eminem so obsessed with Christopher Reeve? He's made a couple jokes about his paralysis which come completely out of nowhere.

Look Mr. Mathers, maybe you were high when you wrote this poor excuse for music, but that doesn't excuse it. If you're gonna be mad at me for not liking your music, it doesn't solve anything by telling me to suck your dick. Make better music if you don't want criticism, or don't make people have to pay money to hear your music and they'll probably hate you a bit less for writing such shit. 1 star.

Comments

Joe F - The song Stan has 2 videos. A short version and a long version. Apparently it's a true story of a fan that was writing to Eminem all the time.

RAKJR - I don't love Eminem, but some of those songs are just awesome

Jenn K - And you need to listen to his newer albums too

Cody C - you sure are bringing down the average rating

Christine C - Don't hate me but I love his music. I feel his direct point of view is an expression of his talent and art. He may be rough for some ears, but I've loved his music from day one. Genius!

Allyson M - He's on my I pod.

Cousin Lizzie - I think i have most of his CDs from high school

RAKJR - I dont even care for the words, but the beat and music is genius.

Lil' Eddie - Love Eminem's music has good beat story line and believes in himself. My opinion best rapper alive.

Christine C - Looks like you're out numbered, Dave

Mo K - I hate rap.

Uncle Craig - I could have written Dave's review. I agree with it that wholeheartedly.

Me - People have this strange idea of "beat". If what Eminem created on this album constitutes "genius" beat then my Casio keyboard is also a genius.

Me - Joe F, did a bit of research and from what I've read "Stan" is not a true story.

Me - Jenn K, I think my list includes the slim shady album. I doubt that will change my mind, probably just make me angrier.

Jenn K - Recovery, 2010

Me - Christine C, I'm not surprised I'm outnumbered. I got a lot of flack when I was a youngin' for my ignorance of Eminem and lack of knowledge of the rap scene in general. It wasn't worth my time then, and having listened to a number of rap and hip-hop albums over the past year I really doubt I missed anything.

Me - If I have time, Jenn K... but I'm booked on my album project potentially for the next 9 years.

Jenn K - :-) slip it in place of the other one

Me - Can't... I've made a commitment. I can't just go back and break the deal I made with myself, especially after all the really terrible music I've had to hear thus far. But maybe an updated version of the list will include said album.

Christine C - I'm not a fan of hip hop or rap either. But there are a few, I have to admit, that have big talent.

No comments:

Post a Comment