Friday, March 21, 2014

Cat Stevens - Tea for the Tillerman (1970)




(originally posted on Facebook)

Cat Stevens has a song called "Wild World" that I'm sure you've heard of. It's a shame that most people only know that song, because it's actually one of the weaker numbers on Tea for the Tillerman. Cat sticks mostly to what works best- light acoustic guitar progressions and his easy-going folksy hippie voice. I was expecting this to be a rather slight album, but I left pretty impressed with Mr. Stevens' repetoire. It's not a really challenging listen, but since all I knew was "Wild World" I was surprised by the strength and energy in most of the music. I do wish Cat would have dropped that overbearing double-tracked voice thing he does on almost every song. His voice is tinny enough as it is. Double tracking just gives it a piercing quality. Still a good album. 3 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment