Thursday, March 13, 2014

Goldfrapp - Felt Mountain (2000)


(originally posted on Facebook)
  Right off the bat it's clear Goldfrapp is going to be tough to classify. The music has a lovely balance of creepy electronic effects and unconventional instruments, like a harpsichord on the second song. It's very bleak and gothic. The image that keeps invading my brain is this music playing in a steampunk movie universe at an orgy bar. Does that make sense?

Anyway, I approve the approach Goldfrapp took towards writing and arranging this music. The album has a rich sound and kept me listening mostly because I had no idea what to expect from song to song... except for the bleakness. Does Goldfrapp want me to kill myself? There's nothing wrong with a dark album, but there might be something wrong with an album that reminds me I need to take my meds so I don't fall into a crippling depression again. In summary, which this mini-review is supposed to be anyway, Felt Mountain is a good album of wonderfully arranged and interesting music, just not for me. 2 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment