Tuesday, March 4, 2014

The The - Soul Mining (1983)



(originally posted to Facebook)



In all the excitement of birthdays and exploding space rocks I forgot to post this...

This album aptly displays what everyone eventually hated about 80's music. Oh the synths. The tameness. The never ending progressions. Did I mention the synths? There is one song on this album that has a really good piano solo, and I'd like to think whoever is playing it is playing a real piano. But I have my doubts. Then there's the song "Giant" which just really sticks out, because it's nine and a half minutes long and repeats the same 5-second bass pattern almost endlessly save for a brief drum machine break in the middle, and ends in a four minute layered chant of, "E-yeh e-yeh e-yeeeeh-uh!" What the hell was the point of that? There is a real trumpet on the last song, that I am sure of. Other than that, feh- typical 80's junk. 2 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment