Thursday, March 13, 2014

Kate Bush - Hounds of Love (1985)



(originally posted on Facebook)

I had a hell of a time locating a copy of this album to review. Kate Bush isn't on Rdio or Myspace to any real degree, and none of the second hand stores had a copy. I don't want to say outloud where I got a copy because I wouldn't be surprised if that service suddenly cracked down and removed future albums I want to listen to.

Anyway, Kate Bush is one of those artists that The Internet claims is criminally underrated. Cracked.com lists her in an article of 5 artists cheated out of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. That article describes her thusly: "She is an original, driven to write perfect songs contained on cohesive albums, each different from the last." Sigh... there is nothing more banal and lazy than calling an artist "original".

And if it is true that each of her albums are different I might have to try and locate the rest of her work before I say Hounds of Love sucks. Then again, albums are meant to be contained pieces of art and can be judged seperate from the artist. It's possible that Kate Bush is a marvelous artist and I will like more of her work if I listen to it. Hounds of Love is better than most stereotypical 80s junk I've heard, mostly because there is more going on here than a droning synthesizer and drum machine. But like most 80s junk there's way too much reverb and a totally synthetic feel. I'd probably really like some of the more epic songs if they weren't so epically 80s. 2 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment