Tuesday, March 4, 2014

David Ackles - American Gothic (1972), Take 2



(originally posted to Facebook)



I've had a chance to revisit David Ackles' American Gothic. This album really is tough to pin down. The best way to describe it is if Billy Joel were actually good. OK, that's not fair to Billy Joel fans. Instead, try to imagine if Billy Joel had a deeper, soulful voice, and was way more orchestral and theatrical. Most of the songs are quite complex. Saying the album doesn't fit under a specific genre would be underselling it. Many of the songs don't fit a specific genre. There are some nice easy ballads within, but if you want to know what to expect just listen to the first song.

Ackles doesn't waste time trying to ease you into the proceedings, starting with a ferocious descending piano line and his sultry and dark melody. Before you're used to that, the time signature shifts to 3/4, the key changes, and more orchestral instruments join in. Before you used to THAT, the song switches to cut time and changes keys again before wrapping around to the beginning and doing it all over again. The lyrics tell the dark story of a poor farmer, his cheating wife, and how they still have some measure of happiness. It is flowing yet uncompromising in its grandeur. The album contains several songs like it that are practically mini-operas.

Despite the musical ability David Ackles shows, he remains an obscure composer. Maybe his other three albums are terrible. Even still, many other artists become famous for their one greatest work, so I feel safe in saying American Gothic should put David Ackles among the great American composers. Previously, I gave this album 3 stars. I'll bump that to a full 5 star rating now.

Comments

RAKJR - Sorry to tell you, Billy Joel actually IS good

Cousin Phil - I agree with rob there, billy makes some tunes. But I do want to listen to this now

Amy S - Listen to Joel's Storm Front album sometime. All of his work isn't great simply because of the volume and the pop aspect. But his greats stand up to the best.

Mo K - i don't particularly like Billy Joel, but I maybe I'll revisit him some time.

Me - I don't have a stong opinion on Billy Joel. Some people do, such as this guy: http://www.slate.com/.../01/the_worst_pop_singer_ever.html
The awfulness of Billy Joel, explained. 

Me - Cousin Phil, if you are interested in hearing this album, I found it on Myspace

Cousin Phil - I will give that a shot. I just have the 5 or so songs in my mind from bill that I think are cool, so I run with them thinking he's cool enough.

Cousin Phil - Bill Joel- uptown girl. Check that video and try not to have a good laugh

Cousin Lizzie - i LOVE billy joel! my friends grandmother plays his tapes every night over and over and so i learned them all from her! and my high school class song was the piano man

Me - I thought this review was about David Ackles and how awesome his music is. Can we please stop talking about Billy fuckin' Joel?

No comments:

Post a Comment